Call for Proposals X-Student Research Groups
Teaching assignments for X-Student Research Groups for summer semester 2021
Closing date for applications: December 11, 2020
What does the research funding look like?
- Using the format of the X-Student Research Groups, the Berlin University Alliance supports research projects in which junior researchers and students conduct joint research.
- In order to run an X-Student Research Group, the junior researchers receive a contract for teaching assignment covering two semester hours per week. This teaching assignment runs over the course of one semester with the option of extending beyond this period into a second semester. Instead of granting teaching assignments, materials, and resources may be provided depending on the budgetary or personnel provisions.
- On top of that, candidates can apply for research-relevant material or travel funds up to a maximum of 750 euro. A higher amount can be requested in exceptional cases. Whether this higher amount can be approved or not depends on the material or travel funds requested overall as part of the call for proposals.
- In order to prepare the junior researchers for their assignment, they are also invited to participate in a teaching qualification program whose main focus is on the management of research groups. Participants receive a certificate at the end of the program so that their own experience and qualifications for teaching can be documented.The Berlin University Alliance sponsors up to 16 X-Student Research Groups per call for proposals.
Who can apply?
- Junior researchers from the four partner institutions of the Berlin University Alliance: Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin, and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin. Applicants can include doctoral candidates, postdocs, and junior professors from all disciplines who are interested in conducting joint research with students.
- The joint research should be linked to a current research project of the junior researchers. This might be including, for example, all research projects of the Berlin partner institutions or dissertations of doctoral candidates if there is a clear distinction from the research conducted in the X-Student Research Groups.
Which documents must be submitted?
- Application form with details about the applicant (for example, status group, subject area) and details about the institutional link (for example, university, mentoring professor if applicable). Please download the application form and fill it out.
- Project outline (maximum three pages, additional page containing bibliography if required) with a description of the planned research project, schedule, and assessment of potential participating students. More information is available regarding what you need to consider when drafting your project outline.
- Optional: Application for material or travel funds up to a maximum of 750 euro; only for doctoral candidates: Assessment of mentoring professor regarding necessity and cost calculation of material or travel funds. More information is available regarding what you can apply for and what you need to consider.
When planning your X-Student Research Group, please take into account that due to the coronavirus pandemic, the summer semester 2021 may be conducted largely online or as a hybrid semester.
When and where must the application be sent?
Applications including all required documents must be sent by email in pdf format (as one document) to the StuROPx-coordination center (program managers: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline is: December 11, 2020.
How does the selection process work?
An interdisciplinary body of experts, consisting of representatives from different status groups and partners of the Berlin University Alliance is tasked with selecting the most suitable projects from the applications submitted in accordance with the defined list of criteria. The final decision on whether to grant funding is taken by a steering committee, which is responsible for StuROPx.
On November 13, 2020 from 11 to 12 a.m. an online information event about the X-Student Research Groups will take place. If you are interested, please register in advance by email (StuROPx-coordinators email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).