Call for Proposals X-Tutorials
Research funding for X-Tutorials for winter semester 2021-22
Closing date for applications: June 01, 2021
What does the funding look like?
- With the X-Tutorials format, the Berlin University Alliance is funding research projects by students for students.
- In order to hold an X-Tutorial, tutors receive a contract as a student assistant with a teaching assignment of 40 hours per month over a period of 12 months. (In exceptional cases, however, an X-Tutorial can also be held on its own, without co-teaching.)
- On top of that, candidates can apply for research-relevant material or travel funds up to a maximum of 750 euro. A higher amount can be requested in exceptional cases. Whether this higher amount can be granted or not depends on the material or travel funds requested overall as part of the call for proposals.
- To prepare the X-Tutors for their task, they are also invited to participate in a teaching qualification program.
- The Berlin University Alliance sponsors up to eight X-Tutorials per call for proposals.
Who can apply?
- X-Tutorials can be offered by students of all fields of study and from all four partner institutions of the Berlin University Alliance: Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin, and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin. Applications from co-teaching teams from two houses of the Alliance are welcome.
- The students must be doing a master’s degree program or must be at an advanced stage of their bachelor’s degree program, for example completed at least the third semester.
- It is also important for the student to have a professor as a subject-specific mentor so that they can receive an assessment of the research project in terms of feasibility, and also receive support throughout the project.
Which documents must be submitted?
- Application form (online) with details about the applicant, about the research project, and about the institutional link. Please fill out the application form online.
- Project outline (maximum three pages, additional page containing bibliography if required) with a description of the planned research project, schedule, assessment of potential participating students and ideas for possible collaborations with other actors or institutions. More information is available regarding what you need to consider when drafting your project outline.
- Optional - Application for material or travel funds up to a maximum of 750 euro; a prerequisite for the approval is that the funds are necessary for the research or would clearly enhance the research project. More information is available regarding what you can apply for and what you need to consider.
- Letter of endorsement provided by a subject-specific mentor: To ensure that your X-Tutorial can be implemented without major problems or setbacks, it is helpful to have professional support. Therefore, you should look for a professor who will support you in advance and during your X-Tutorial. It is important to note that supervising can only be provided by professors (including junior professors or deputy professors). Please ask the supervising professor to assure you of this support in a letter. More information is available regarding what should be included in this letter.
Form - Proof of institutional affiliation: In order for your X-Tutorial to be offered as a research tutorial for students, an institutional affiliation is necessary. Therefore, please obtain a professor's signature (i. e. signature of your subject-specific mentor). Please download and complete the institutional affiliation form.
When planning your X-Tutorial, please take into account that due to the coronavirus pandemic, the winter semester 2021-22 may be conducted largely online or as a hybrid semester.
When and where must the application be sent?
After you have completed the online application form, please submit all other required documents by email in pdf format to the StuROPx Coordination Office: email@example.com
Please keep the following instructions in mind:
- Assemble all documents as one pdf document.
- Within the pdf document, keep the order mentioned above, so please start with your project outline. A cover letter is not necessary.
- Please name the pdf document as follows: Last Name_Tuts_WiSe 2021-22
The Deadline is: June 01, 2021.
How does the selection process work?
An interdisciplinary body of experts, consisting of representatives from different status groups and partners of the Berlin University Alliance is tasked with selecting the most suitable projects from the applications submitted in accordance with the defined list of criteria. The final decision on whether to grant funding is taken by a steering committee, which is responsible for StuROPx.
On April 30, 2021 from 14 to 15 (2 to 3 p.m.) an online information event about the X-Tutorials will take place. The information event is in German. But of course you can ask your questions in English. For this date, please use the following link:
If you have further questions regarding the call or the format of the X-Tutorials, please contact the StuROPx coordinator Nina Lorkowski: nina.lorkowski@berlin-university-alliance