What are the funding criteria?
In addition to excellence in research, transdisciplinary research approaches (as described above) are of particular importance for the Exploration Pilots funding program.
Essential funding criteria are:
- Compliance with the goals stated in the call text for an Exploration Pilot on Responsible Innovation in Times of Transformation (i.e., convincing presentation of the development of a new, highly relevant research topic in transdisciplinary cooperation in Berlin)
- Research quality
- Quality of the research project (scientific relevance of the topic, topicality, originality, long-term perspective, preliminary results, and/or previous work)
- Transdisciplinarity of the project (integration of non-scientific expertise into the research process, methods and formats of the integration of non-scientific knowledge, description of the scientific and societal questions within the project, approaches for the sustainability of the project results and/or societal inclusion)
- Objectives and coherence of the work program, conclusiveness of the project structure, cooperation between the disciplines, added value of the cooperation
- Clarity of the plan towards a follow-up application aiming at third-party funding for the period beyond October 2026
- Diversity of the group composition (in terms of involvement of different interest groups)
- Qualification of the applicants
▪ Expertise and track record in the relevant topic or related topics
- Promotion of equal opportunities and diversity (e.g., gender balance, inclusion of LGBTQ+ people, international people, disabled people; governance of the project; if applicable: study participants, planned accessibility of content, governance bodies etc.)
- Involvement and support of junior researchers
- Adequacy of the funds applied for
- Management, quality assurance
- Adequacy of data collection and access; if applicable: quality of data management plan; realistic planning of work, of time and of milestones; realistic planning of dissemination of research results
- Efforts to provide transparent and reusable research results according to the practices of open science as understood by the BUA’s mission statement for Open Science.